With so much going on in the world right now, it’s not surprising that many people are coming to chiropractors with tension headaches.
A tension headache is a mild to moderate dull, aching pain in the head. It often feels like a tight band or pressure across your forehead, or on the sides or back of your head. You may also experience scalp tenderness and a dull ache in your neck or shoulder muscles.
Tension headaches can be caused by various factors such as stress, dehydration, lack of sleep, and dietary imbalance. There are three key ways to ease a tension headache without medication.
- Try a cold compress
Pain is often caused by inflammation in tissues. A cold compress can help alleviate this pain. Try relaxing with a cold compress for 10 minutes on, and then 10 minutes off. If the cold compress doesn’t provide relief you can try a heat pack but ensure to drink plenty of water so that the heat pack doesn’t cause dehydration and make the headache worse.
- Relaxation techniques
Try relaxing in a dimly lit room by lying down and focusing on deep breathing and progressive muscle relaxation. Make sure to drink water before the relaxation session in case the headache is the result of dehydration.
- Allied health care
Allied health care such as chiropractic, massage and acupuncture can provide relief for tension headaches through gentle techniques that work with the needs of your body.
There are a number of things you can do to prevent tension headaches such as:
- drink plenty of water each day to avoid dehydration
- try to use relaxation techniques, even if it’s just deep breathing, as part of your daily routine to reduce muscle tightness
- ensure to maintain a healthy, balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables
- don’t smoke and limit your intake of alcohol, caffeine and sugar
- try to get eight hours of sleep each night
- exercise at least three times each week, even if it’s just a 20 minute walk.
For more information about how to reduce your risk and frequency of tension headaches contact Lane Chiropractic Pottsville on 6676 2270.